Recording Requirements

Recording Requirements Effective January 1, 1997, all documents submitted for recording, in the State of Washington, must conform to the standards set forth by RCWs 36.18 and 65.04. A cover sheet is required for documents where the first page does not contain the necessary index fields or the three-inch top margin. A cover sheet will not relieve you of the responsibility of meeting formatting requirements. All pages must conform to formatting requirements for margins, page size, font size, color, legibility, seals and attachments. Documents that do not meet these requirements will be returned. Once reformatted, they can be resubmitted for recording.

The Auditor's office records documents as required by RCW 36.18. This notice is a reminder of the items that must be in compliance for a document to be recorded. The most common formatting error is the lack of one-inch margins. Statute requires at least a one-inch margin on all pages.

The following standards are required


The first page of the document must have a three-inch margin at the top and a one-inch margin on the sides and bottom. The first page must also include the following key information: Return address on left side (may be within the three-inch top margin) Document title or titles

Reference numbers of documents assigned or released (if applicable) Names of the grantors and grantees with references to pages where additional names can be found

Entire or abbreviated legal description

Assessor's property tax parcel number or account number

All documents will not have all pieces of the above information. Please read the descriptions of each item found later in this guide to see if it applies to the document you are preparing. Although the requirement is that the information appear on the first page, we appreciate all of the businesses who, when reformatting their documents moved it up and have it immediately following the three-inch top margin. It is our preference for the information to be included in the same order as listed above. Each additional page of same document must have one-inch margins on all sides.

Cover Sheet

A cover sheet is only required if the first page of the document does not include the required information listed above and a three-inch margin. When a cover sheet is used to fulfill the three-inch top margin and indexing information requirements all other requirements must still be met or the document will be returned for compliance. Also, when a cover sheet is used, one dollar will be added to the recording fee for the additional page on the document.

It is our preference that documents be reformatted to meet the requirements and thereby eliminate the need for an extra page. Cover sheets will be provided in the Auditor's office. It is not acceptable to put "See Attached" or "see page ___" in place of including information on the form.


Aside from the return address in the top three-inch margin, all margins must be clear. No additional addresses, bar codes, company logos, hole punches, line numbers, order numbers, page numbers, tracking numbers, headers, footers, notary or other seals, signatures, initials, etc., may be placed in any margin. You may place this information on the document; just keep it out of the required margins.

Cover sheet with emergency clause

The emergency non-standard cover sheet is used when a document contains inadequate margins and the preparer wants to avoid reformatting the document. A surcharge of $50, plus $1 for the cover sheet, will be charged in addition to all other applicable recording fees. The emergency non-standard cover sheet must be completed and signed by the document preparer (RCW 36.18 & 65.04).


No attachment may be affixed to documents presented for recording. Attachments, for purposes of this legislation, refers to notary seals, stick notes, or other items stapled, taped, etc. on the face of the document. Attachment does not refer to additional pages added to the end of a document such as addenda, schedules, or expanded legal's which may be referred to in the body of the document as "Attachment A" or "Appendix A", etc.


The font size must be 8 point type or larger. Smaller than that is very difficult to read, and does not image or reproduce easily.

Page Size

The maximum page size is 8 1/2 by 14 inches. If your document is oversize you will need to reduce the original to fit on 8 1/2 by 14 inches or use multiple 8 1/2 by 14-inch pages.


The paper must be of a weight and color capable of producing legible images, and Watermarks in the body of documents that produce unreadable images will be returned for reformatting. Highlighter marks are causing problems. When documents have been highlighted in certain colors, those words are obliterated when scanned, copied or filmed.


Title or titles of the document. If using a cover sheet, the title(s) on the coversheet must be the same as the title(s) on the document.

Return Address

The return address should be placed within the three-inch top margin on the first page.

Reference Number

A reference number is the Auditor's file number and volume and page (if used) of the document being assigned or released.


To find the appropriate party/parties to place in this field, please contact a title company.


See Grantor, above.

Legal Description

If a document has not historically included a legal description, this legislation does not require customers to begin adding a legal. If a legal does appear on the document or cover sheet, the assessor's tax parcel identification number must also appear on the first page. If your entire legal is on the first page, there is no need or requirement to also abbreviate it on the first page. In cases where the entire legal does not appear on the first page it must be abbreviated and placed on the first page of the document or cover sheet with a reference as to where the entire legal is located. Appropriate abbreviations are:

Lot Block Subdivision or Section-Township-Range quarter-quarter section (i.e., 32-17N-3W NE NE)

It is not acceptable to put "See attached" or "refer to Appendix A" in place of abbreviating the legal.

Assessor's Tax Parcel ID Number

A tax parcel ID number must appear on the first page of the document/cover sheet if a legal is included in the document. If there are too many numbers to fit on the first page, you must put what will fit and a reference to the page of the document where the remainder is located. If you need help locating the number you can contact the County Assessor's Office. If the parcel number has not yet been assigned, put "Not Yet Assigned" in the space for parcel number. If a parcel number is on the document, the legal must also be included.

Documents which will be recorded with a properly completed cover sheet

Anything signed or created prior to January 1, 1997, birth certificates, death certificates, out of country documents, certified copies of documents recorded or filed (court documents), judgments or other court documents formatted to meet court requirements, marriage certificates from other counties, DD214s.

Documents which are exempt from the requirements and do not require cover sheets

IRS documents; marriage certificates from Columbia County.


Washington State UCC forms (UCC-3s) are designed by the Washington State Department of Licensing for use by their office for UCCs filed with them. These forms are for their internal use, and will not comply with the document standardization requirements. UCCs for the Auditor's Office use (UCC-2s & 5s) that comply with the new requirements have been redesigned and are available from forms companies.

Common Problems for Document Refusal

Seals in margin, signature or initials in margin, missing parcel number, something other than the return address in top 3-inch margin, one-inch margins are not one-inch.

Documents that were signed prior to January 1, 1997, may be recorded without re-formatting. However, a cover sheet will be required.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the recording department supply blank documents or forms?

No, we do not provide blank documents or forms.

Does the recording department have birth and death certificates?

Original birth and death records after 1907 are maintained by the Regional Health District, Vital Statistics Office at (509)324-1522. There are only few original records beginning with 1886 through 1913 available in the recording department.

You can also obtain a death certificate by clicking on the following link Vital Records

Would the recording department accept the National UCC Form for recordation?

Yes, effective August 1, 2005 the recording department will record the national form. As of January 1, 2008 the standard document fee will be $62.00 for the first page and a $1.00 for each additional page.

Where do I obtain information regarding divorce or probate records?

Please contact the Clerks Office (509) 382-4321

What kinds of documents are recorded in the recording department?

The recording office records Real Estate documents, liens, military discharges, maps and surveys. Copies of these documents are available for a fee. We also issue marriage licenses.