Floodplain & Flooding
Updates & Notifications
- Find updates on local conditions at the Columbia County WA E-911 Emergency Management Facebook page.
- In the case of emergency call 911.
- In a non-emergency notification of flood events, call 509-382-2518.
- For weather-related updates and flood advisories visit the National Weather Service.
- National Flood Insurance Program Help Center 1-800-427-4661.
Re-Entering Your Home
- Return home only when local officials say it is safe to do so.
- Before entering, check for structural damage. Contact the Planning & Building Department at 509-382-4676 for a safety assessment.
- Turn off any outside gas lines at the meter or tank and let the house air. Do not strike a match as there may have been a gas leak.
- Be careful about turning on the power again. Watch for electrical shorts and live wires. Do not use water-damaged appliances.
- Document your flood losses and contact your insurance agent for flood loss claims.
- Dry your house slowly. Carpets and drywall may have to be removed. Water may be trapped between walls and will not dry.
- Building permits are required but fees may be waived during a flood emergency.
- Document damage and start clean-up. Learn more by visiting the Floodsmart Document Damage page.
- Start a claim. Immediately report your claim to your insurance agent or carrier. Learn more by visiting the Floodsmart page.
Contacts by Jurisdiction
City of Dayton
Meagan Bailey, Certified Floodplain Manager, Director, Planning & Community Development
Email Meagan Bailey
Dayton City Hall
111 S. 1st Street
Dayton, WA 99328
City of Waitsburg
Town of Starbuck
Jan Ells, City Administrator
Email the Town of Starbuck
Starbuck Town Hall
Starbuck, WA 99359